DESTINAZIONE TURISTICA EMILIA

Piazza Duomo

 

In the middleages, and until the construction of Piazza Cavalli and Gothic Place, it was the city’s public and religious center. The construction of the cathedral started in 1122. On its side there is the Bishop’s palace, which primary part dates back to the primitive S. Giustina cathedral. It was repeatedly modified starting from the 15th century, when it was rebuilt and the noble floor was built over a Renaissance Portico. The current structure dates back to 1863 and is taller and more imposing than before. We owe the present layout to Pope Paolo III Farnese who, during the half of the 16th century, wanted to renovate the city for the appointment of the son Pierluigi as head of the Duchies of Parma and Piacenza: the square was widened, the close San Giovanni de Domo church was demolished and the northern and western porticoes were built. In the middle of the square there is a Monument dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which dates back to 1862 and was built to commemorate the dogma proclaimed by Pope Pio IX on 8th December 1854.

Jul 25, 2017 - Dec 13, 2014

Share |