You are here: Home / "welcome to Piacenza" / the town / what to see / Monuments, squares and streets / Old “Emilia” power plant

Old “Emilia” power plant


Address: via Nino Bixio, 27








The former central Emilia, built by architect Piero Portaluppi, is considered a magnificent example of Liberty style, whose construction began in 1925 and ended in 1928. The buildings of the complex had an innovative structure in reinforced concrete, associated with a brick infill of flat bricks and completed by large glazed openings. In the engine room, two 'Westinghouse' turbogenerators worked and the overall efficiency of the plant was in line with the technologies then available in the thermoelectric power plants installed in Europe. The power plant, whose ownership passed to EdisonVolta in 1951, to Enel in 1963, to Eurogen in 1999, to Edipower, and finally to A2A, worked at full capacity until October 1982 and was definitively abandoned in December 1985. In perfect condition, the original buildings were flanked by numerous buildings, but continue to represent the culminating moment of the first industrial architecture of Piacenza.


Our experimental plants for the execution of research and development tests on components are located on the premises of the former boiler room and the former turbine room. The adjacent building houses the technical and administrative offices.


The power plant is not open to the public. It's possible to request partial visits to the area by appointment and for a limited number of adults.

Jun 30, 2020 - Dec 13, 2014